That is when I step back into the ring and go other round with the marathon. I don't think it will be a TKO, but I hope to have the upper hand by the end of this round. Jeff and I are venturing to Portland so that I can run the Portland Marathon in attempt #2 of the marathon distance. I learned a lot my running just one marathon-what I did well and what needed work on. I took that into consideration and made some changes for 2011 to help better prepare me to step into the ring ..again.
1) I joined a group of talented women to run with (Boulder Express-http://www.bxboulderexpress.com)
2) I am working with the coach of this group (Lee Troop) who doesn't sugar coat things and tells it likes it is.
3) Working more on my core strength and flexibility--running takes a toll of your body. And at the rip old age of 33 I need to be careful....
4) Running more miles before the start of the marathon training. Last year I went straight into 50+ miles weeks and built to 80 in 12 weeks of training...all off of 35 miles a week. It took about 3-4 weeks for my body to adjust.
5) Committing to this running thing for the next year to 18 months. I have been competing in multi-sport for so long, I didn't know if I could be a runner again. I decided it would take more then a few months to see if I could run fast again, so I jumped in head first and committed to running...just running.
Seven months from now---almost to day---I will be in Portland ready to take this on. But between now and then, there is a great deal of work to be done. Many workouts. Many long runs. Many days of not wanting to run, but going out to run. Many laughs with my teammates and many stepping stones. It should be quite the adventure.