Monday, December 6, 2010

Testing 1...2....3...

Wikipedia defines a test as: something that may be administered orally, on paper, on a computer, or in a confined area that requires a test taker to physically perform a set of skills. The basic component of a test itself is called an item, which is sometimes colloquially referred to as a "question."

In my case, I (the test taker) took a physical test in which the skill was to race a 5K. The confined area could be defined as the ColderBoulder Course at the CU Campus.

And the "question": Where is my fitness as of December 2010?

Since the end of October/beginning of November, I have been working on building a base and preparing myself and my body what I have planned for it in 2011. The ColderBoulder presented a great "test" to see where I am and where I need to go. Last year I ran a similar test down at Chatfield. Different course this year, same objective.

Going into the 5K, I had some good pre-test results from my workouts. I knew what was possible-or at least had an idea. But again, I kept reminding myself this is December and I don't want to be a Winter Winner. That needs to wait until spring/summer. Jeff and Heather warmed up with me-Jeff being the comic that he is-kept making us laugh and keeping the mood light. The Open Wave started at 10.10. It was suppose to be warm, but sadly, it was cold. I don't know why I was surprised. We do live in Colorado and it is December.

The "confined area" started off down hill, had some sharp turns, a tough 2nd mile, and then a few more turns and flat 3rd mile. The race started and I ran on how I felt. I didn't wear my Garmin so I didn't have a number telling me I was ahead or behind where I thought I should be. I am finding that this practice allows me to race better with fewer numbers to worry about and less over analyzing. The first mile passes and I am feel good. The 2nd mile is the tough one. Some s-curve and uphills took me through this mile. I knew I needed to work this mile-this one is usually my down fall. I keep running and pushing to catch the girl in front on me. The goal is just to get up to Broadway and then focus on the last mile. I finally reach it and know I only have about 7 min left of racing. I settle in to being uncomfortable and keep pushing closer and closer to the finish. I tell myself not to look at my watch-what good will it do? I know where the finish is and I know roughly where I am in relation to the finish-so I just need to run there.

Hard.

Nearing the finish, I let a girl I passed, pass me back. Dumb move. Right hand turn into the fieldhouse and there is the finish line....and the clock. I cross the line and get my answer.

Answer: I am in a good place for December 2010.

Rock On
JK

1 comment: