Saturday, May 1, 2010

Nationals 2010


In late February I decided to race a duathlon- the National Duathlon Championships in April. I am not sure why I choose that race. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Just running and biking--no swimming. Jeff committed to helping me get ready for this race, the training would be a little different then training for a 70.3 race he warned me. He also told me I would have to get some work in on the track (gasp!). I was ready for the challenge though. I have about 2 month to get ready!

All of a sudden, it was April 22nd, and I was leaving to go race Nationals! Where did the 8 weeks go!? I wanted a few more weeks. More hot days with sun. More rides and runs with Jeff there to push more. More core work sessions. I just needed a little but more. However, there was no more. There was only the race 4 days away. I piggy backed a trip to visit my sister and her family while I was on the East coast. It was a nice change of pace to chase kids around rather then worry about the race.
I also had one of my dearest friends Jax coming to support me as well. All good things to keep my mind off of the race Sunday.

The weather called for rain, rain, and more rain. And humidity. About 70% of that. Living in Colorado, you forget how sticky the east can be (I even grew up there). Things don't dry quickly. Slick roads with 1300 racers on them is not exactly my ideas of fun. But what can you do. I prayed to the rain gods to wait until noon to open the flood gates. Bike check-in occurred Saturday night. Rain was expected all night. I wrapped up my bike as best I could, racked her up, said some encouraging words to her, and said goodbye. The next time I would see my bike would be race morning.

RACE DAY: 9.15 AM start. No rain.
At 7.15 I was pumping up my tires when I hear what sounds like carbon cracking. I look at Jax. She looks at me. Front tire is flat. No worries. I have 2 hours. Take it all over to the mechanic to fix for me-I don't trust myself. Wheel got fixed and the anxiousness of the morning continues.

At 9.10 we line up at the start line. We have to run first. Not swim. I think I like running first and not swimming. I have not done a duathlon in almost 3 years. This is a strange feeling-no rubber constricting my neck and shoes on my feet. I look around and don't know what to expect. I don't know who these people are anymore. I am the new kid.
Jeff and I talked about a plan the night before based of my training. I was going to stick to it and race smart. First 5K, the women go out FAST. I figured they would come back to me. At 2 miles they are still out there. Maybe they will come back on the bike. I am working comfortably hard during the 1st run-running off a girls' shoulder. Making her do the work. First 5k goes through in 19.20.
The bike course was technical and wet. And a lot of people were on this 3 loop course. The corners where tight and the approach to them at 30+ mph after coming of a hill was nerve racking. I managed to hold my own on the bike picking of a few girls. My cycling is improving...this was validation for me.


The 2nd run had a lot wrong with it. I was the cause of most of that wrong. There was 1 girl ahead of me (about 5 seconds) and I passed her in the first 100m of the run. I was running comfortably--not redline, but not easy. At about 1.5 miles, a women passes me in my age group. I know she is fast. She and a few other women ran sub 19 on the 1st 5K. I let her pass me and keep running my pace. In hindsight, I should have pushed more. There was too much left when I finished. But what can I do. Lesson learned as I looked at the results after-about 4 minutes separating 1st place though me (8th place).

Overall, I finished 8th. And 4th in the 30-34 age group. This age group was tough this year. This was one of the toughest duathlons I have ever raced in terms of fast women. The women who won our age group and overall title ran 2 sub 19's (low 18's) I am complacent with my result, but know what I am capable of. I guess I will just have to race again.

BIG THANKS to all those who helped and supported me: Specialized, Native Eyewear, Splish for the kick ass top, PowerBar, SKINS, and Boulder Running Company. HUGE THANKS to the love of my life Jeff and bestie Jax for being there when I needed it. You are rock stars!

Rock On
JK

1 comment:

  1. Nice. Nothing like jumpin' in it to then figure out what it takes to win it. Keep at it.

    And I hate the humidity of the east coast now too.

    ReplyDelete