Sunday, October 25, 2009

Harvest Muffins

The fall season brings out the chief in me. I have also been inspired by watching Top Chef Las Vegas. I grew up watching my mum make amazing dishes and desserts. I seem to be the only one who inherited her skills (my sister specialty is cooking rice in a steamer and my brother cooks at McDonald's).

This morning I had an idea to combine some healthy options with some of Jeff's favorites-pumpkin and chocolate chips. I call these Harvest Muffins.



HARVEST MUFFINS
Prep Time: about 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15-20 min @ 400 degrees

Ingredients:
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 cup buttermilk (if using powder 4 TBS and 1 cup of water)
  • 1 cup unprocessed wheat bran
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup whole-wheat flour
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2+ cup chocolate chips
Prep
  1. Whisk eggs and brown sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Whisk in pumpkin, buttermilk, wheat bran, oil and vanilla.
  2. Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips, if using. Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin cups.
  3. Bake the muffins until the tops are golden brown and spring back when touched lightly, 15 to 20 minutes.

Happy Baking
Rock On
JK2

1 comment:

  1. You crack me up - "the fall season brings out the chIef in me." Sorry, couldn't resist.

    ReplyDelete